Friday, December 10, 2010

I'd like to start out my blog with the following quote because I feel that it, and the woman who spoke it, are what have inspired me to be who I am today.

"Only if we understand can we care. Only if we care will we help. Only if we help shall they be saved."

- Jane Goodall


I must admit, this is one of the few quotes that I have memorized, and I have since I was a young child. Jane Goodall was talking about chimpanzees in particular, but it can be applied to every organism; plants, bacteria, and animals alike. When I was younger I loved Jane Goodall and her message. I feel that the above quote is a great summation of what she stood for. Thus, I have decided to live a green life and complete research just like her (although not on chimpanzees, I let that dream go a couple of years back).

I'd invite anyone who reads this to just think about that quote and then step outside and look around. Even if you are in a big city, there are organisms all around you and they are being affected by what you do, by what I do, and by what your neighbor does. Now, I am not a 'crazy' green person trying to make you feel bad but I am just asking you to think about this. Just for one moment.

With that request I will leave you for the day. Thanks for 'listening' to my whispers, and stay tuned for more! :)

Jane Goodall's Iconic Picture Touching a Baby Chimpanzee's Hand

2 comments:

  1. Yay for beginnings! I look forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, Andrea! Best of luck with your endeavors. One of my motivations for Upcyclers is that I love green living and our planet. I've worked with children and others since the 70's doing this. A few months back I started two Facebook pages: Living Nicely (a play on my maiden name, Nicely!) and Green Living Community. I'll be following your blog and will share your blog updates there regularly! Thank you for your efforts, we are fortunate to have people like you fighting for our earth's treasures.

    ReplyDelete